On November 4, 2014, California voters approved Proposition 1, the Water Quality, Supply, and Infrastructure Improvement Act of 2014. Proposition 1 authorized $510 million in Integrated Regional Water Management (IRWM) funding. Funds are allocated to 12 hydrologic region-based Funding Areas.
The Proposition 1 IRWM Grant Program, administered by DWR, provides funding for projects that help meet the long-term water needs of the state, including:
- Assisting water infrastructure systems adapt to climate change;
- Providing incentives throughout each watershed to collaborate in managing the region's water resources and setting regional priorities for water infrastructure; and
- Improving regional water self-reliance, while reducing reliance on Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.
IRWM Grant Program Guidelines
The 2016 IRWM Grant Program Guidelines are comprised of two volumes. Volume 1 contains the general process, procedures, and criteria that DWR will use to implement the Proposition 1 IRWM Grant Program, which includes the IRWM Planning and Disadvantaged Community Involvement Grant Programs. Volume 2 contains the IRWM Plan Standards and related guidance, and the region acceptance and plan review procedures.
- Proposition 1 - 2016 IRWM Guidelines - Vol.1 and 2 (Available Upon Request)
The 2019 IRWM Grant Program Guidelines contain the general process, procedures, and criteria that DWR will use to implement the Proposition 1 IRWM Grant Program, which includes the IRWM Implementation Grant Program and any future grant programs pending another update to the guidelines.
- Proposition 1 - 2019 IRWM Guidelines (PDF) [737 KB] - Updated: 12/24/2019
On April 22, 2019 DWR released the Proposition 1 - Round 1 IRWM Implementation Grant Program Final Proposal Solicitation Package (PSP) and Final 2019 IRWM Guidelines.