Notice of Intent to Adopt a Mitigated Negative Declaration for the Kopta Slough Multi-Benefit Project
The California Department of Water Resources (DWR) has released a draft initial study (IS) and intends to adopt a proposed mitigated negative declaration (MND) for the Kopta Slough Multi-Benefit Project (proposed project). The draft IS and proposed MND have been prepared in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act to provide agencies, the public, and interested parties an opportunity to review the environmental analysis of the proposed project.
The project area is located on the Sacramento River between River Mile (RM) 219 and RM 222 near the City of Corning and the Town of Vina in Tehama County. The Woodson Bridge State Recreation Area, Tehama County River Park, Woodson Bridge, and the Sacramento River National Wildlife Refuge Rio Vista Unit are located in the downstream portion of this reach. The project area includes a 658-acre property known as the Kopta Slough property.
The proposed project consists of three elements: (1) full removal of approximately 5,200 linear feet of existing rock revetment along the Sacramento River bank bordering the Kopta Slough property to restore natural fluvial and geomorphic processes; (2) restoration of the 176-acre agricultural field to native floodplain habitat on the Kopta Slough property; and (3) transfer of the Kopta Slough property to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service ownership to assure its long-term management and conservation, as well as facilitate the enhancement public recreational opportunities.
The IS provides an assessment of the proposed project’s potential significant adverse impacts on the environment. The IS concludes that the proposed project would not have any significant adverse effects on the environment after implementation of mitigation measures.
PUBLIC REVIEW PROCESS
The IS is being circulated for public review and comment for an extended period of 37 days to compensate for the holidays, starting December 22, 2022. Written comments should be submitted and received no later than close of business on January 27, 2023.
Copies of the draft IS and proposed MND are available at:
Or you can access documents at the links below:
- Kopta Slough Multi-Benefit Project Draft Initial Study/Proposed Mitigated Negative Declaration
- Appendix A: Kopta Slough Riparian Habitat Restoration Plan
- Appendix B: Farmland Conversion Impact Rating
- Appendix C1: Inventory and Calculation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Appendix C2: Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Plan Consistency Determination
- Appendix D: Hydraulic Analysis, Conceptual Design, and Preliminary Cost Estimate for the Kopta Slough Flood Damage Reduction and Habitat Restoration Study on the Sacramento River, RM 216 to RM 224
- Appendix E: Meander Modeling for the Kopta Slough Flood Damage Reduction and Habitat Restoration Project
- Appendix F: Kopta Slough Multi-Benefit Project – Hydraulic Analysis Addendum
- Appendix G: Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program under the California Environmental Quality Act
If you encounter problems accessing the document from DWR’s website, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A printed copy can also be requested to view during business hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) at the DWR office located at 2440 Main Street in Red Bluff, California.
Please submit comments in writing or email to:
California Department of Water Resources
2440 Main Street
Red Bluff, CA 96080
The most effective comments are those that follow the guidelines below:
- Comments should be concise and focus directly on the analysis in the IS.
- Comments should identify the specific part of the IS at issue and include supporting evidence and facts.
- The commenter should provide complete references or citations, particularly when referring to websites (e.g., provide a specific URL address rather than simply citing “DWR website”).
For further information, please contact Amy Lyons at (530) 528-7439 or Amy.Lyons@water.ca.gov.