Safety is our top priority for everyone recreating along the State Water Project (SWP). Our Water Safety Program is designed to help you and your family stay safe while enjoying the water.
- We provide a variety of water safety materials including workbooks, posters, and videos. You can order them for free.
- We offer water safety programs for communities located within a 50-mile radius of each of our 3 Visitors Centers. Schedule a program by contacting the one nearest to you.
We partner with communities to create and run Aquatic Adventure Camps. These camps teach water safety to children and youth – especially ethnic minorities and those who would most benefit from positive youth development – who live near SWP reservoirs or its 444-mile aqueduct. If you're interested in developing a camp, read Your Six Step Guide for Organizing Aquatic Adventure Camps.
Albert & Einstein's Water Safety Tips
Our 2 water safety mascots, Albert and Einstein, were created to educate kids of all ages about how to stay water safe at SWP facilities. Their adventures are depicted in videos and materials such as an activity book, posters, brochures, and bookmarks designed to convey important safety tips. All Albert and Einstein materials are K-12 appropriate and can be ordered for free.
Albert & Einstein’s 10 Most Important Water Safety Tips
- Learn to swim.
- Swim with a buddy.
- Wear your life jacket.
- Obey all hazard signs.
- Swim in safe or designated areas only and by a lifeguard.
- Beware of drop-offs into deep water.
- Watch for hidden debris, rapid currents, and slippery rocks.
- Look before you leap or dive.
- Know your limits
- Don’t mix drinking with recreation.
- American Red Cross Swim Classes & Water Safety Training
- California Division of Boating and Waterways
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Drowning Prevention
- National Safe Boating Council
- Safe Kids Worldwide
- Shallow Water Blackout Prevention
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers National Water Safety Program
- U.S. Coast Guard
- U.S. National Library of Medicine, Water Safety (Recreational)
- Water Safety USA, Learn to Swim
- The Water Safety Adventures of Albert & Einstein, Activity Book – English
- The Water Safety Adventures of Albert & Einstein, Activity Book – Spanishh
- Water Safe for Life with Albert & Einstein, Along the California State Water Project - English
- Water Safe for Life with Albert & Einstein, Along the California State Water Project - Spanish
- Water Safety Along the State Water Project
- Your Six Step Guide for Organizing Aquatic Adventure Camps
- Pyramid Lake Algal Bloom Advisory at "Caution": Swim Beaches Reopen
- San Luis Reservoir Algal Bloom Advisory at "Warning" Level
- Pyramid Lake Algal Bloom at "Danger" Level
- Lake Oroville State Recreation Area Partially Reopens After Camp Fire
- DWR and California State Parks Offer Free Day Use and Boat Launching at Oroville SRA on Select Days This Summer