Statutes and Regulations
The Statutes and adopted Regulations enacted for the State supervision of all jurisdictional dams are available to review here.
- On June 27, 2017, SB 92 required emergency action plans for all dams that do not have a low downstream hazard potential, as determined by the Department. SB 854 amended California Water Code section 6161 on June 27, 2018, to clarify requirements for dams with an EAP as of March 1, 2017.
- If the EAP did not have inundation maps for all critical appurtenant structures at your dam, you must submit a schedule to DSOD by August 25, 2018, to complete the maps. Notice to Owners of Dams with EAPs as of March 1, 2017.
- If you did not have an EAP as of March 1, 2017, this change does not affect you.
- Email your questions regarding the statutes and regulations for inundation mapping to MapRegs@water.ca.gov.
Regulations Currently being Promulgated by DWR: Administrative Enforcement and Information Requests
Posting Date: October 13, 2021
- DSOD will be seeking approval of regulations (see Modified Text of Regulations below) from the California Water Commission at their October 20, 2021 meeting. More information can be found at the California Water Commission's website.
Posting Date: August 19, 2021
- Notice of Public Availability of Modified Text and 19-Day Comment Period (Important public-comment deadlines are contained in this Notice)
- Modified Text of Regulations
Posting Date: May 21, 2021
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (Please Note: Important public-comment deadlines are contained in this Notice)
- Initial Statement of Reasons
- Text of Regulations
- Instructions for July 12, 2021 Public Hearing
Other rulemaking materials consulted: