Statutes and Regulations
The Statutes and adopted Regulations enacted for the State supervision of all jurisdictional dams are available to review here.
- On June 27, 2018, SB 854 updated California Water Code section 6161 to clarify requirements for dams with an EAP as of March 1, 2017.
- If the EAP did not have inundation maps for all critical appurtenant structures at your dam, you must submit a schedule to DSOD by August 25, 2018 to complete the maps. Notice to Owners of Dams with EAPs as of March 1, 2017.
- If you did not have an EAP as of March 1, 2017, this change does not affect you.
- If you have questions, you may contact Senior Engineer Kristen Martin at (916) 227-2170 or MapRegs@water.ca.gov.
Regulations Adopted by DWR
The Department is currently in the process of adopting new Regulations for the Annual Fees and Inundation Maps.
Annual Fees Regulations
- Notice of Proposed Action – DSOD has developed regulations for annual fees that define a methodology for establishing the annual schedule of fees pursuant to Water Code section 6307. Please see the Notice of Proposed Action for details on how to submit comments by January 7, 2019. Contact Marcelino Alcantar at (916) 227-4640 or at Marcelino.Alcantar@water.ca.gov with any questions.
- Notice of Proposed Emergency Regulatory Action (December 5, 2018)
- Finding of Emergency (December 5, 2018)
- Annual Fee Regulations (December 5, 2018)
Inundation Map Regulations
- Notice of Proposed Action (8/17/2018) – DSOD has revised the draft permanent regulations that establish standards for inundation maps. See the Notice of Proposed Action for details on how to submit comments on the revisions by September 1, 2018. Contact Kristen Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or (916) 227-2170 with any questions.
- Inundation Map Emergency Regulations (effective 7/18/2018)
- Finding of Emergency
- FEMA 333 (2004): Federal Guidelines for Dam Safety
- FEMA P-946 (2013): Federal Guidelines for Inundation Mapping
- Engineering Guidelines for the Evaluation of Hydropower Projects, Ch. II: Selecting and Accommodating Inflow Design Floods for Dams
- Lake Oroville Main Spillway Ready for Rainy Season
- Lake Oroville Spillways Construction Updates 11/30/2017
- DWR Convenes Inaugural Community-Led Meeting for Oroville Dam Safety Comprehensive Needs Assessment
- DWR Meets Nov. 1 Public Safety Milestone
- Lake Perris Trail Opens as Reservoir Nears Full Capacity